Bridgewater floodplain management
PROJECTS IN THE SPECIAL FLOOD HAZARD AREA
A zoning permit must be obtained prior to any new construction or renovation in the special flood hazard area in Bridgewater.
Bridgewater's Zoning Office maintains elevations certificates for new and substantially improved buildings. For a list of elevation certificates on file, click here.
FLOOD PROTECTION & insurance INFORMATION
- The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation provides up-to-date information regarding:
- Knowing Your Risk for flooding
- dam safety and floodplains.
- Helpful resources are available at North River Library, 118 Mount Crawford Avenue in Bridgewater. Click here for a list of available titles.
- For flood insurance information, please visit www.floodsmart.gov.
- Other helpful links:
- Answers to Questions About the National Flood Insurance Program, F-084
- Elevated Residential Structures, FEMA-54
- Protecting Building Utilities From Flood Damage, FEMA-P-348
- Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding, FEMA 511
- Elevating Your Flood Prone House
- Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods and Other Hazards, FEMA P-85
- The Town of Bridgewater follows mitigation procedures as laid out in the Central Shenandoah Valley All Hazards Mitigation Plan.